|Columbus Horatio Hall, D. D., A. M|
The deepest appreciation of the scholarly services of Doctor Hall is cherished by that great body of former students, both men and women, who at different times in the past forty years hare prepared for the duties and responsibilities of life within the walls of old Franklin College. Doctor Hall has never achieved wealth and high business station in the State of Indiana. He has done that which mature judgement of men at all times has pronounced greater and better, has devoted his talents and years to the education and training of young men and women and has lived the simple life of the scholar and is one of the finest examples of the old time college professor.|
Doctor Hall was born in the little town of Chili in Miami County, Indiana, November 17, 1846. His grandfather, Horace Hall, was a New York State man, settled at Perrysburg, Ohio, owned a blacksmith and forge in town and was a deacon of the Baptist Church. Nelson Columbus Hall, father of Doctor Hall, was born in New York State, grew up in Ohio, and after coming to Indina established himself in the dry goods business at Peru, where he was in partnership with his brother, Horatio Hall. They afterward established a branch of their store at Chili, where Nelson C. Hall spent his active years. He was highly influential citizen in the community, was a pioneer of that locality, a deacon in the Baptist church, and ever ready to support any movement that meant increased good. He died at Chili in February, 1889. The first chuch established in that locality was of the Methodist denomination. It was considered a guarantee of the success of any meeting for any cause whatsoever if Nelson C. Hall could be persuaded to act as leader. While a man of special talent in this direction, he preferreed the simple quiet life and never sought public office of any kind.
Columbus H. Hall spent his early days at Chili. Whe he was eleven years old the family moved to Akron, Indiana, living there for seven years, until the close of the Civil war. They then returned to Chili. Doctor Hall spent a year in the Peru High School and was also given a business training as a lerk in his father's store. When about nineteen years old he was a student for one year in the Ladoga Seminary. He prepared there to teach school, and at that time his ambition was for the medical profession. In 1866 Doctor Hall entered Franklin College at Franklin, finishing his preparatory work and remaining a student until February, 1872, when the college was temporarily suspended. He then entered the old University of Chicage, where he graduated A. B. in June, 1872. In 1895 the University of Chicago under its present incorporation conferred upon him the honorary degree B. A. He prepared for the ministry by three year in the Baptist Union Theological Seminary of Chicago, graduating B. D. in 1875.
In the meantime he had been invited by Doctor Stott, president of Franklin College, to accept a professorship in that school in the science department. This gave Doctor Hall an opportunity to do special work, and he afterward filled the chairs of Latin, rhetoric, and history. In 1879, when Professor J. W. Moncreith retired from the chair of Greek, Doctor Hall at his own request was made professor of Greek and Latin. For over thirty years he was head of the department of these classical languages and retires from the Greek professorship in 1912. For twenty-five years he also served as vice president of Franklin college, and during an illness of Doctor Stitt was acting president in the spring of 1885.
Doctor Hall is one of the leading Greek scholars of the country. He has written a nuber of lectures on the tragedies of Sophocles and other Greek writers, and has read the Greek Testament from beginning to end 107 times. As a teacher Doctor Hall always sought to infect his pupils with his own enthusiasm and do much more than merely inspect them. How well he succeeded in this aim needs no testimony beyond the greatful acknowledgement of his older students. He has carried his scholarship abroad, has frequently addressed graduating classes at high schools, has lectured throughout Indiana and also at the University of Wisconsin. many times he appeared in formal addresses before the Baptist Association. Doctor Hall has reinforced his scholarship with extensive travel, expecially in the tropical countries of Greece and Italy, the Holy and and Egypt. He is a member of the old Classical Association of Indiana Colleges. He represents Franklin College at the present time on the war safety programme. He is a member of the Phi Delta Theta and is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and has taken all Scottish Rite degrees. He has been a prelate of Frankin Commandary of the Grand Lodge for thirty-four consecutiev years, and in 1913-15 was grand prelate and for four years was grand chaplain in the Grand Council.
br> There is a proverb that "The Glory of the Children are Their Fathers." and is it also true that the glory of fathers is in their children. Will all the wide ranges of achievement and experience to his credit, Doctor Hall doubtless finds his greatest comfort in his declining years in the noble sons and daughters who have come to manhood and womanhood at his old home in Franklin. Doctor Hall married June 15, 1875, Theodosia Parks. They were married in the house where Doctor and Mrs. Hall still reside. She was born at Bedford, Indiana, and graduated from Franklin College in 1874 and for a time was a tutor in Latin at Franklin. For many years she was president of the Baptist Missionary Society and also its general director and finally became its honorary president. Her parents were Rev. R. M. and Jane T. (Short) Parks, both of Bedford and now deceased. Her father was a Baptist minister of that city. Of the children born to Doctor and Mrs. Hall two are deceased. Zoe Parks Hall, the eldest, who was born in 1876 and died in December, 1907, married John Hall, of Johnson County, and was the mother of one daughter, Catherine Zoe, born in July, 1907. Her husband is a farmer in Johnson County.
Their second child, Mary Griswold Hall, born in October, 1878, is the wife of Dr. G. M. Selby, of Redkey, Indiana, and has one son, Horace Hall Selby, born in July, 1906.
Arnold Albert Bennett Hall, a son who interist many of the scholarly talents of his father, was born in July, 1881. He graduated from Franklin College and from the law department of the University of Chicago. While at University he was assistant to President Judson and also an instructor. He is now assisstant professor of the department of political science and law at the University of Wisconsin. He has had a wide range of work, having taught one year at Northwestern University, was employed by the Carnegie Foundation of Peace, and for two years was an instructor at Dartmouth College. He has lectured at institutions throughout the various states ans his work as lecturer is in great demand. He has high qualifications as a speaker, but these qualifications serve only to enlarge the breadth of his scholarship, and he is today recognized as one of the men most gifted in educating and influencing popular opinion. He wrote and revised "Fishback's Elementary Law," and is the author of "Outline of International Law." He is now serving on the board of directors of the Lasalle Extension University. He married Grace Carney, of Franklin, in June, 1911.
Doctor hall's fourth child, Theodore, was born in 1883 and died in infancy.
br>Letitia Theodora Hall, born in September, 1886, married Prof. R. E. Carter, of the University of Kansas.
Warren Short Hall, born in January, 1889, is now a sergeant major in the Fourth Battalion of the One Hundred and Fifty-Ninth Depot Brigade at Camp Taylor.
Nelson Clarence Hall, born January, 1891, is a sergeant at Camp Custer. Esther Marguerite Hall, born in Spetember, 1895, is now a teacher at Lawrence, Kansas. Florence Christine Hall, born in June, 1903, is a student in high school. All the children except the youngest and oldest are graduates of Frankin College. The service flag in the home of Doctor Hall at Franklin has two stars, indicating that he has given two of his sons to the world-wide war for freedom.
Jacob Piatt Dunn and G. W. H. Kemper, American Historical Society, New York and Chicago, 1919.