|JOHN CHAMP: Farmer and tile manufacturer, at Macy, was born in Piqua County, Ohio, April 8, 1830. He was the son of Joseph and Martha Ann (Baggs) Champ, natives of Kentucky and Virginia respectively, the former of Scotch-Irish and the latter of German descent. The father of our subject died when the latter was but seven years old. When he was ten years old his widowed mother and five children came to this county and first located at Peru. That was in 1840. Five years later they located upon the present site of Somerset, Wabash County and erected the first house in that place. In about 1848 they returned to Peru. They removed to a farm in Kosciusko County in 1850. About two years later they removed to Cass County and located in the vicinity of the Huldah Iron Works, four miles east of Logansport. John took a position in that establishment, which he continued to hold four years. In 1856 he and his mother located upon a farm in Adams Township, Cass County. In 1864 he removed to a farm which he had purchased in Fulton County. In February 1865, he enlisted in Company F., 151st Indiana Volunteers, from which he received an honorable discharge in the following November. In the spring of 1876 he again came to this county and this time located at Macy. He owns a farm adjoining that place which he superintends, and in connection with this he is engaged quite extensively in the manufacture of tile, having entered into a partnership in that business in 1878, with Peter Carvey. June 23, 1859, married to Sarah M. Scott, a native of Preble County, Ohio, born March 18, 1839. She was the daughter of Daniel and Ellen M. (Dilhorn) Scott, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the former of Scotch and the latter of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Champ have never had any children of their own, but are the foster parents of eight children, six of whom are living. Out subject and his wife have been members of the Christian Church over thirty years. The former is a member of the F. & A. M. and G. A. R. Lodges and a Prohibitionist in politics. In the fall of 1876 he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace and served one term. He is an industrious and successful farmer and business man and a worthy and honored citizen.